The Network of Excellence CONNEX ("connecting Excellence on European Governance") is dedicated to the analysis of "Efficient and Democratic Multilevel Governance in Europe". It will enhance the knowledge essential to the future of Europe based on independent fundamental research, which will be open to the public.
CONNEX has two main objectives:
- First of all, it intends to mobilise outstanding scholars all over Europe to deepen our knowledge of the present state and likely future development of European multilevel governance, its assets and deficiencies in terms of problem-solving capacity and democratic legitimacy;
- Second, it aims at building a Europe-wide research community which stands for scientific excellence and for providing added value for prospective users.
These objectives shall be achieved by a joint programme of activities comprising 3 tasks:
- to provide information on and easy access to accumulated knowledge,
- to organize research on European governance focused on efficiency and democratic legitimacy,
- to disseminate state of the art knowledge, train young scholars and communicate with important users.
Task 1 covers activities to make transparent on-going research in different parts of Europe. Links have been established to all relevant research programmes and a network of scholars has been built up in 24 European countries. National reports and joint conferences will reveal the wealth of research already produced. The relevant information on on-going research will go into an on-line database open to all prospective users. more...
Task 2 rallies scholars from various scientific communities who will map and analyse the conditions of efficient and democratic multilevel governance in Europe. Research will be decentralised but a strong management structure will ensure integration. Research will be peer reviewed and open to the input from users. more...
Task 3 aims at a durable infrastructure for communication and dissemination of research results. An innovative instrument will be the e-published "Living Reviews". PhD networks and on the job training of young scholars will improve the sustainability of the effort.
Close cooperation with the integrated project "NewGov" will strengthen the activities of CONNEX. more...